"With the SAT just revised to add more reading and writing, those taking the college entrance exam have many new study aids to pick from. We like The Intuitive Learning Co.'s vocabularly shower curtain (tilcoweb.com), the basis for our quiz. So lather up..."
1. enhance (v.) A: to weaken. B: improve. C: undergo, as in hardship. D: sign up for.
2. antagonist (n.) A: murder victim. B: ancestor. C: scientist. D: opponent.
3. diligent (adj.) A: very careful. B: excessively late. C: harmful. D: unprepared.
4. scrutinize (v.) A: to examine closely. B: ignore completely. C: consider skeptically. D: view casually.
5. procrastinate (v.) A: to produce offspring. B: show interest in. C: delay. D: dissappear.
6. disdain (v.) A: to throw away. B: to regard with scorn. C: humiliate. D: disappoint.
7. spurious (adj.) A: authentic. B: reluctant. C: false. D: casting blame on others.
8. empathy (n.) A: pity. B: identification with others' feelings. C: strength. D: mixture.
9. venerable (adj.) A: green. B: stripped bare. C: corrupt. D: resepected because of age.
10. querulous (adj.) A: constantly complaining. B: curious. C: cooperative. D: compact.
11. florid (adj.) A: smelling of flowers. B: bright, as a light. C: ruddy. D: cheap.
12. impute (v.) A: to calculate. B: to pierce with a sharp object. C: attack as false. D: attribute to.
13. evanescent (adj.) A: mild, as with weather. B: brightly lit. C: religious in nature. D: short-lived.
14. superfluous (adj.) A: extra. B: overly proud. C: heavely. D: believing in the supernatural.
15. sagacity (n.) A: history of a city. B: courage. C: wisdom. D: ignorance.
16. perfidious (adj.) A: marked by foul odor. B: treacherous. C: wandering. D: routine, mechanical.
I enjoyed this little sidetrack. I'm sure y'all will think I'm a nerd. :p
Graduation is this afternoon, at 3. I'll be sure to not wear mascara! :tear: Jenna's very nervous about making her speech, and thus I am nervous for her. But, she's good at things like that (it's too bad she can't sing it...). AH, I'm going to miss her a lot. And Heather. And Jessica. And Jacob. And Michael (sorry, I wish I had time to make you more cookies!). I can't believe they're all leaving!! And next year it will be my brother, Jeri, Austin--everyone!! How disheartening.
Aren't you guys impressed with my terribly frequent updates? I just have so much to say. ^_^